Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Science in The News

One of the assignments that we had to do in our ever evolving science class was an assignment on science in the news.  Briefly, we had to gather a bunch of articles, talk about them, and share them with the rest of our class.

For my the topic of my articles, I choose space/astronomy.  I chose these articles because, while I find science to be my least favorite subject, I have always found space to be engaging.  They call it the final frontier for a reason and that's because it's the part of science I feel we know the least about.  From looking at the different articles I collected, there seems to be something new, a new claim or discovery, almost everyday.  As we unfortunately watch our own planet fall apart scientists have been looking toward space more and more in an effort to save humanity.



Space is probably the most relevant topic to teach in classrooms these days, and unfortunately I don't think it gets the air time it deserves, even in the secondary level.  Exploring space and finding a suitable home for the human race, or saving our own planet is the defining topic of our time and as teachers we need to implore this onto our students as best we can.  The articles that I have pulled out work well in talking about a number of the different planets, and former planets for that matter, and talk about what the future holds for Earth, Mars, and beyond.  I have gathered these articles for everyone to look at, and can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment