Sunday, March 6, 2016

The Science Fair

This past Tuesday our class had to take part in the Bishop Dunn Science Fair with all of the other 7th graders in the school.  While I was unable to attend due to my work schedule I was still able to drop off my project ahead of time to avoid a grading penalty.  I was feeling rather cocky about my project; I am after all 15 years older and wiser than these children, so upon placing my project down I had no doubt in my mind that I would have quite the impressive project.

This is to say until I saw pictures.....

I was shown pictures of the science fair and all of the students whose projects were brought in to be graded and I couldn't be more impressed.  I will confess that science is not my strong suit, and when I was in school we never had a science fair, why I don't know exactly, but even if I had majored in science while in college I still think these kids would have knocked me down, academically of course.  This speaks to the level of teaching over at Bishop Dunn and just goes to show they take their science seriously.

Meanwhile at my old stopping grounds, they are still without science fairs and I believe the children suffer for it.  While a great deal of time and planning go into a science fair project, when finished it not only looks cool but it fulfills you with a great sense of accomplishment, and pride.  This pride translates over when you bring in your project and are overjoyed to share it with all of your classmates who are also proud and overjoyed of their respective projects.  I won't mention the school I went to that lacks a science fair, because they're probably not the only ones, any school that lacks a science fair is doing its students a disservice, by not allowing them to partake in one of the grand, coming-of-age. academic experiences. that will enlighten you down the path of being a scientist, or something completely different.

No comments:

Post a Comment