Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Science, Art, and Bags of Dog Toys

Today was the first step in a lengthy 15 week course in which Dr. Smirnova, my new science, grad school, teacher....teacher, would try to convince me that I will become a good science teacher.  The jury is still out on that one as science was never quite my strong suit, hence why I ran the opposite direction in college to become an English major.

However after today's first lesson I do believe there is hope.  Aside from signing up for three of four websites that I'm still figuring out how to properly use without getting a virus, I learned that science really hasn't changed all that much from when I was in elementary school myself.  I honestly forgot how much fun I had in science at that age with all the experiments and actual interesting topics, such as dinosaurs and space.  I guess I still reflect back to the rough times of cutting open dead rats, learning periodic tables, and shining lights on rocks to notice if a 2 x 2 mm sections of moss will grow on a igneous rock when properly treated.

While we still have a long way to go, I believe there is hope for me yet in being able to teach science to the children.  Or perhaps there isn't, either way we'll find out in 15 weeks, which hopefully by then the good doctor lets the class know what exactly was in that mystery bag.  

No comments:

Post a Comment